The Modified Post and Beam Method is our most popular method of strawbale construction. It is the method taught by the Australian Rural Education Centre in Mudgee NSW. The method is widely used (with some slight variations) by professional strawbale builders including SO'R, Strawtec and Viva Living Homes.
A key advantage of the Modified Post and Beam Method is that the roof is on before the bales go in providing weather protection.
Our Modified Post and Beam Method Standard details include:
- Three A1 pages of details covering all typical structural aspects of your strawbale build,
- 3D, colour and B&W details,
- Single and double storey construction details,
- Concrete and raised timber floor construction details,
- Curved and straight walls,
- Trussed and rafter roof construction details,
- Post details for LVL, Glulam and ply-box buck post systems,
- Tie-downs, bracing, and zero-eave configuration details,
- Strawbale compression details: method, compressed course heights, resultant dead loads.
- Render specifications suitable for use in bushfire prone areas up to Bushfire Attack Level 29 (BAL-29).
- Bales on edge.
- Order on construction: Floor > Frame > Roof > Walls.